Regarding the hardware manager

Available to be read by all.
Pranjali_Shinde

Regarding the hardware manager

Postby Pranjali_Shinde » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:27 pm

I have followed the start up guide for Z7030. I have vivado 2017.1
When I am at this point: Open a new target, and the EMC2 will be recognized by the software
There are neither hardware targets nor hardware devices displayed. The jumper J11 is connected to 2 and 3 to boot from the SD card.
Please could you help me to understand in which part of the manual I am going wrong? Why is the board not been recognized?

Timoteo

Re: Regarding the hardware manager

Postby Timoteo » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:33 am

Hi Pranjali,

The reason why you wouldnt see the device in the JTAG chain could be:
-The board is not being supplied properly (to check this, measure the 3.3V levels). Before you do anything, quick question: Is the power supply you are using yours, or provided by us?
-The USB platform is not working correctly. Is the Xilinx USB platform you are using this one https://media.digikey.com/photos/Xilinx%20Photos/HW-USB-II-G.JPG ? In that case, do you have any other Xilinx board to try with, and check if this works correctly? Have you previously installed different versions of Vivado in that computer? It happened to me that different versions overwrite the drivers for the USB platform, and depending on which version of HW Manager I'm using, the hardware platform works or not.
Another question in this point: Is the USB Platform with its LED on and green?
-You say you are booting from SD Card. This presumably means that you are running at least an FSBL in the ARM core. Can't you debug this through UART, using a terminal at 115200bps baud rate? Let me know if the device is booting correctly. This would narrow the problem. Also, is the Trenz module (little board under the heat sink) having any LED on? If there is an LED on that goes off half a second after you power up the board, that means the ARM core is booting.

Best regards,
Timoteo

Pranjali_Shinde

Postby Pranjali_Shinde » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:43 pm

Hi Timoteo,
Thank you for the reply.
A quick note I have installed vivado 2017.1 on ubuntu 16.04

The power supply cord used, is from my lab because we do not have the power supply cord provided by you. And no, it is not the Xilinx USB platform as shown in the picture. We have got an OLIMEX ARM-USB-OCD-H connector with the board. Thereby, I have connected it. No, there is no another Xilinx board to try on.
Yes, I had installed vivado 2017.4 earlier to the licensed installation of vivado 2017.1
Later, I unistalled vivado 2017.4.
After the connection of the USB, the LED on the OLIMEX is green. Yes, the board below the heat sink has the LED ON which is green in colour. And it does not go OFF after a second. I have followed the manual in the installation of the boot image on the SD card. Also, the J7 and J8 have to be connected to 3.3v? And in order to know the sequence of the pin numbers how do I understand if the count starts from left or right on the board in-order to make the jumper settings. I have checked the SD card where it shows a boot.bin file. Now, how do I confirm if the boot image was created properly?

Is there any manual for sample project to work on with the board. However, I have searched for the manuals, I just have the startup guide, design specifications and board information.

file:///home/pranjali/Downloads/IMG_20180403_130423663.jpg

Thanking you,

Kind regards,
Pranjali

Timoteo

Postby Timoteo » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:18 pm

Pranjali_Shinde wrote:Hi Timoteo,
Thank you for the reply.
A quick note I have installed vivado 2017.1 on ubuntu 16.04

The power supply cord used, is from my lab because we do not have the power supply cord provided by you. And no, it is not the Xilinx USB platform as shown in the picture. We have got an OLIMEX ARM-USB-OCD-H connector with the board. Thereby, I have connected it. No, there is no another Xilinx board to try on.
Yes, I had installed vivado 2017.4 earlier to the licensed installation of vivado 2017.1
Later, I unistalled vivado 2017.4.
After the connection of the USB, the LED on the OLIMEX is green. Yes, the board below the heat sink has the LED ON which is green in colour. And it does not go OFF after a second. I have followed the manual in the installation of the boot image on the SD card. Also, the J7 and J8 have to be connected to 3.3v? And in order to know the sequence of the pin numbers how do I understand if the count starts from left or right on the board in-order to make the jumper settings. I have checked the SD card where it shows a boot.bin file. Now, how do I confirm if the boot image was created properly?

Is there any manual for sample project to work on with the board. However, I have searched for the manuals, I just have the startup guide, design specifications and board information.

file:///home/pranjali/Downloads/IMG_20180403_130423663.jpg

Thanking you,

Kind regards,
Pranjali

1-
If you are not using a recommended PSU, it could be that the 3.3V level is not enough from your PSU. You can verify this measuring with a voltimeter on JP7/JP8. It should be at least 3.25V.
This doesn't mean the jumpers have to be in the 3.3V position. Please, if you are using a TE0715-30 or TE0820, never supply 3.3V to the FPGA banks, you will kill the device. Jumpers should be on 1.8V for those modules.

2-
If you are not using the Xilinx USB Platform, I suggest you reduce the JTAG frequency in Vivado Hardware Manager. I reckon you have selected 60MHz, and according to the specs of OLIMEX ARM-USB-OCD-H, that device is not fast enough if I'm not mistaken. Reduce the frequency to 30MHz or less and let me know if you see the JTAG chain.

3-
If you installed 17.4, I had problems with this. I recommend uninstall completely the drivers, and run the corresponding script to install the cable drivers at the Xilinx installation path. In Windows is: C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2017.4\data\xicom\cable_drivers\nt64\install_drivers_wrapper.bat

4-
Regarding the booting, if your module has an LED on, and stays on, it means it received power, but it never started to run a first stage bootloader, or received any command to program the FPGA through JTAG. Therefore, that module is in idle state.
How do you know if the boot.bin is correct? Well, you never know until you debug through a terminal. If your question goes towards "am I programming a .bin file for the right device?" then don't worry, neither Vivado or SDK or SDSoC will let you program a file to a wrong device. It's intelligent enough to detect that.

If you have more questions, please ask, I'd rather write 10000 words before you kill our hardware with a wrong movement!
All the documentation is here:
http://support.tulipp.eu/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2

Best regards,
Timoteo

Pranjali_Shinde

Postby Pranjali_Shinde » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:36 pm

Hi,
Thank you. Please do not worry I am very careful about the board. And I have not connected the jumpers to 3.3v. It is at 1.8v only. Please find the attachment. Apology I mentioned to you regarding the power supply. The power supply is from you.
1. I have completely uninstalled vivado 2017.4
2. Vivado 2017.1 is installed on ubuntu 16.04 with the cable drivers.

I have gone through the documents which were uploaded on the forum. It can be see in the guide:The IO voltages for the FPGA
banks can be selected through the jumpers shown in the picture. JP7 and JP8 select the different voltages available as follows. Can I please ask you if the jumpers have to be at 1.8volt only then why are the options to change the voltage to 2.5v, and 3.3v as it would damage the banks.

Thank you,
Kind regards,
Pranjali
Attachments
hardware.jpg
hardware.jpg (4.68 MiB) Viewed 21090 times

Pranjali_Shinde

Postby Pranjali_Shinde » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:46 pm

Hi Timoteo,
Thank you so much for your support.
There is a problem with the JTAG because of which the hardware is not being detected. I will solve this! Well, about the frequency in hardware manager. Are you talking about the clock source when designing the system?

Flemming_Christensen

Postby Flemming_Christensen » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:53 am

Hi,

You do not have a Xilinx Zynq FPGA/JTAG debugger; you only have the Zynq/ARM CPU- so if you want to debug the FPGA, then you need one of these - https://www.xilinx.com/products/boards- ... -ii-g.html

The Olimex is primary for use with the HIPPEROS OS - and board 'should' (might not...) have arrived with details/installation information about how to use HIPPPEROS

Flemming

Flemming

Timoteo

Postby Timoteo » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:07 am

Thanks Flemming for that detail I missed!

Regarding the voltage setup: You can select 3.3V, 2.5V and 1.8V, because that module installed on the carrier board (the little board with the heat sink) is not the only module available to put there. There are other modules with different IO voltages that can be set on that carrier board, and use them, with 3.3V, 2.5V, etc. That one, only supports up to 1.8V, so just leave the jumpers as they are. (they are correctly set to 1.8V. If you probe with a voltimeter on the jumper, you should see 1.8V).

Regarding what you asked about frequency, I meant this:

That's the frequency at which the debugger and the board communicate. If your debugger is too slow, and vivado is sending data at a higher frequency, the intercommunication won't work.
But as Flemming said, it seems your debugger is supposed to be used with ARM only, so you dont probably even see that.

Timoteo

Pranjali_Shinde

Postby Pranjali_Shinde » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:53 pm

Hi Flemming,
Thank you so much for the reply. The board has not come with the details about the installation of HIPPEROS OS. Can I please know if you would be providing it?

Hi Timoteo,
Thank you for the help. Yes, I do not see it.

Thanking you,

Kind regards,
Pranjali

Flemming_Christensen

Postby Flemming_Christensen » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:12 am

Pranjali_Shinde wrote:Hi Flemming,
Thank you so much for the reply. The board has not come with the details about the installation of HIPPEROS OS. Can I please know if you would be providing it?

Thanking you,

Kind regards,
Pranjali

Sorry, but no - https://www.xilinx.com/products/boards- ... -ii-g.html - and if you plan to debug the FPGA, then you have the purchase one; if you only plan to use the HIPPEROS, etc. - then you will not need it

Return to “FAQ about Tulipp Development Platform”